Hello Grade 3 Families!
It was wonderful to have your children in the Grade 3 classroom last week to start off the new school year 🤗💙!
The students were each given a responsibility in the classroom. This is to help them become more and more responsible since next year they will be the older Buddies for the Grade 1 students: this will be their last year being one of the “younger ones”.
We talked about the new routines and the expected behaviour in the Grade 3 classroom. We will continue to work on this within the next few weeks.
On Wednesday the students met their Grade 6 Buddies and interviewed them to find out what they have in common. This year it is the same Buddies as last year, but paired up differently.
Even though it was just our first week together, I already noticed that this group of students love to communicate with their peers and to do things on their own. We will be working together to find various ways in which they can channel this energy productively and responsibly.
We have not yet received the students’ agendas. Once we have them, they will be kept in the students zippered homework pouch in their backpack. They are to be initialed by you, and brought back to school by your child, on a daily basis.
This week the students will be starting RED, Read Every Day. On Monday they will be bringing their RED reading log duo-tang home in their zippered pouch. Please have them read for 30 minutes at home every day. The first 15 minutes should be reading out loud to an adult. You can help develop their ability to read with attention and comprehension skills by asking questions on what they have just read.
Please write your initials in the section of the information that they will be writing down after reading their book. I will also initial it the following morning.
Reading every day makes a big difference in developing their reading skills, and it strengthens their writing skills by helping them acquire new vocabulary!
If it has not already been done, please send in:
- any outstanding forms for Mrs. Ong
- the walkathon volunteer form (you have until the 20th)
- cross-country permission form
- your child’s birthday picture with their name and Grade 3 written on the back
- headphones/earphones in a Ziploc bag (please label them, along with the bag)
- a large t-shirt to protect their uniform during art activities
- 2 boxes of tissue
*Please have your child arrive at 8:30 am when the first bell rings so that we are ready to start class at 8:45 am when the second bell rings. Thank you 🙂💙
Here are the reminders for this week:
Monday ~ September 12th
- Lifetouch Individual Photo Day: please make sure that your child is wearing their complete school uniform *Any hair pieces should be in the St. Paul colours
- PE: a gentle reminder that when they have PE, the students need to wear their PE strip under their school uniform, unless otherwise specified
Tuesday ~ September 13th
Wednesday ~ September 14th
- Dismissal is at 2 pm
Thursday ~ September 15th
- School Mass at 9:15 am (students wear full uniform including sweater)~ you are welcome to join us
- Our first visit to the school library this year
Friday ~ September 16th
Here is the link for the parents who would like to place Scholastic Book orders in the month of September.
Please enter the Teacher Code: RC143526 to place an order online. This allows Grade 3 to receive points with each purchase. With the points, I order new books and various items for the Grade 3 classroom.
If you have any questions or concerns throughout the school year, please make an appointment to see me or email me at email@example.com
I am looking forward to working with you and your child this year!