We had a week full of excitement in Kindergarten as two very special visitors dropped by our classroom. Our first visitor was Father George! He explained that Advent is a time to prepare ourselves for the coming of Jesus. He also gave the children some homework! He told them to ask you, the parents, why purple is the colour of Advent and Lent… time to do some research 😉 Our second visitor was Saint Nicholas! He visited our classroom overnight to leave treats in the children’s shoes (which I’m sure you all heard about!). He even dropped off a letter to Mrs. Moorehead’s office saying how wonderful our class is at helping others! Way to go, Kindergarten!
This week at a glance:
Letter of the Week: J
Number of the Week: 2
Student of the week: Emma
Show & Tell Theme: My Favourite Stuffed Animal
Show & Tell: Mikey
- Hot Lunch order form due today
- Sunday Best outfit for Christmas musical due today
- Hot Lunch
- PE today
- French today
- Library today~ please return any library books that were not yet brought back as the children will be bringing home a new book today
Show & Tell: Keira
- PE today
- Music today
- Nature Walk today
Show & Tell: Valerie
- Last day to donate non-perishable, canned food items to help support The Richmond Food Bank
- PE today
- Early Dismissal @ 2:00
Show & Tell: Haley
- Music today
Show & Tell: Isaiah
- Advent Assembly led by Grades 6 & K~ please join us!
- The Kindergarten class will be singing I’ve Got the Joy at the assembly (please see note below under ‘Homework’ for more details)
- 10 to 15 minutes of home reading (please use “My Reading” book, “Read-Well” book, and books from home)
- Christian Education- As mentioned above, please have a conversation with your child about the significance of purple during Advent and Lent as Father George will be discussing it with the class during his next Thursday visit
- Social Studies- Inside your child’s homework folder you will find a package that says “All About My Family.” Please check to see if all information is correct (especially where families are from!) and add something you did on your special vacation together (Ex. In Hawaii, we went to the beach).
- Assembly Song- The Kindergarten class will be singing I’ve Got the Joy at the school assembly on Friday. A copy of the lyrics are in your child’s Reading Book. Please practice it with them at home. You can also find a version of the song by using this link but please note that we changed some of the lyrics: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTW5WCY37zU&t=4s
- Homework folders- Please continue to check these daily and send them back to school every day with your child. Each morning the children hand these in.
- “My Reading” book- Please continue 10 to 15 minutes of daily reading with your child and place this book inside your child’s homework folder every day.
- “Read-Well” book- this book contains all of your children’s work in our Language Arts Program “Read Well.” Please review the letter of the week and use the “Parent Prompt” questions with your child. We currently have the Read Well books, as we are updating them with your children’s work.
- Christmas Musical Outfit- Your child will be wearing their Sunday Best for both the matinee and evening performance on December 18th. Please bring their Sunday Best outfit to school by Monday (see email for more details).
Christmas in Kindergarten
Christmas Ornament– Please send in a Christmas ornament that your child can present to the class and use to decorate our class Christmas tree, in the next two weeks. Similar to Show and Tell, they will pick 3 things to share about their ornament (Ex. It is red, it has a bow, and it is soft, etc.) and will answer 3 question from their friends. Ornaments will be returned on Friday, December 21st.
Christmas Stocking– Please bring in a Christmas stocking for your child, in the next two weeks. We will use them to decorate our classroom and the children will put treats from their friends inside, during our Advent Celebration! Stockings will be taken home on Thursday, December 20th.
Kindergarten Advent Party– We will be celebrating Christmas in Kindergarten on Thursday, December 20th from 12:45-2:45. Along with lunch, we will have Christmas themed stations and activities. If you have not already let our homeroom parents, Mrs. Cecilia and Miss Wong, know that you can make it, please email them. We look forward to celebrating together!
- Tuesday, December 18th– Christmas Musical Celebrations @ 1:30 pm and 7:00 pm
- Wednesday, December 19th– Kindergarten Pyjama Party
- Thursday, December 20th– Kindergarten Advent Party
- Friday, December 21st– Last Day of School (noon dismissal)
Please let us know if you have any questions, comments or concerns.
Miss Costales & Miss Wu
email@example.com & firstname.lastname@example.org