Hello Grade One Families!
What a fabulous week in Grade One this week! I hope that you have had a chance to check the ClassDojo account to see some of what has been going on for the Grade One students so far this year.
Today Fr. Felix came to visit and shared part of the story of his journey to the priesthood. It is a wonderful example of having a growth mindset, the power of prayer, and the unconditional love of God the Father. Thank-you Fr. Felix!
We have started talking about the sacrament of Baptism as our initiation into the family of God and the Church. Next week we will continue our lessons and hope to be able to have a special visit to the Church so that Fr. Felix can show the students the symbols of Baptism and answer their very interesting and important questions. Today he told us that he thinks that he has already Baptized over fifty babies! Here is some homework for the weekend: please take some time to chat with your child about their Baptism and if possible, show them some photos/videos of their Baptism and maybe even those of other family members. This will help them to make an invaluable connection to what we are learning in our Catholic Education classes – we are one family!!
It looks like we will have a rainy week next week so please make sure that your child has their boots and rain jacket for outside play. Thank-you!
Please continue to collect Walkathon pledges! This is a very vital fundraiser for our school community…let’s make it the best one yet!
Here are some notes for the upcoming week:
- PE class ~ PE strip is needed
- no PE strip needed
Wednesday ~ Orange Shirt Day
- this is a non-uniform day and students are asked to wear something (preferably a shirt) that is orange to recognize the Indigenous People who have been (and still are) affected by the Residential Schools
- please send a $2 donation for the Orange Shirt Society (www.orangeshirtday.org)
- students will have PE class, but do not need their PE strip
Thursday ~ National Truth and Reconciliation Day
- there is no school on this day as we take time to reflect on how we can promote healing and reconciliation with Indigenous Peoples
Friday ~ Walkathon Day!
- students dress for the weather and the walk (non-uniform)
- students should be at school by 8:40am so that they have time to settle in and use the bathroom before 8:45am because the Grade One class walks first
- all students must bring a mask (either wearing it, on a lanyard, or in their pocket)
- we will walk to Garden City Play Park and back to school for our Walkathon this year
- only parents who are listed in the email sent by Mrs. Moorehead on Friday afternoon (Sept. 24) will be walking with the Grade One class and staff (please do not ask to be added to the list as it is now set)
- please send your child’s water bottle so that they can carry it with them for the walk
- please send a snack for your child to eat once we return to school
- dismissal is at 12:30pm
Please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or concerns.
Have a wonderful weekend and week ahead!
Mrs. Kelly 🙂