Hello Grade One Families!
I hope that you all had a wonderful long weekend!
This Remembrance Day is an opportunity to reflect on how blessed we are to live in Canada and to give true thanks for all those who have dedicated and continue to dedicate their lives to our Armed Forces.
We will begin many new units of learning over the next couple of weeks. In Religion, we will continue to explore the theme “I Can Do All Things Through Christ” by learning about the saints and how Jesus can help us to follow their example in our daily life. Along with this, we will learn about the changing liturgical year as we approach the Feast of Christ the King and the season of Advent (my favourite liturgical season!). Another theme we will be exploring is The World is Full of Patterns. The students will learn about the patterns of the Earth and sky, and be encouraged to ask I wonder questions about these patterns and then plan ways to answer their questions. We will also explore patterns in art and math including those found in numbers up to 100. I Belong to My Family is the other unit we will begin next week. Students will compare what is the same and different among our families and how diversity in families is what makes us special. Our family is a gift from God as is the gift of being welcomed into the family of the Church through Baptism. The students will be learning about the sacrament of Baptism as part of this unit as well. There will be some work to be done at home as part of the family unit and I will email with further information as needed. We will continue with our ongoing learning opportunities such as reading groups, journal and phonics, as well as working on sequencing story events during whole class reading activities. As always, I am excited to see the “wondering” and ideas that the students will bring to their learning!
Please note the following for this week:
- Remembrance Day ~ no school
- Professional Day ~ no school
- Photo Re-take Day ~ your child must have their photo proof envelope to me at 8:45am in order to receive their re-take (students who were absent on the original photo day will have their photo taken today)
- I will be attending the Grade 5 boys’ volleyball playoff tournament for the majority of the day so Miss Guevara will be teaching Grade 1 when I leave
- the students will have PE outside so they do not need their PE strip
- please send in shampoo and comb/brush donations for The Giving Truck
- library book due
- last day to bring in donations of shampoo and combs/brushes for The Giving Truck
- PE class (PE strip needed)
- 9:00am Assembly ~ please join us
- PE class
- last day to order Scholastic books both online and by giving me the order and payment
Just a friendly reminder that we are having a St. Nicholas Day Party on Friday December 6 following the 9:00am Assembly. Parents are welcome and encouraged to join us for this fun event! Mrs. Tinsay will be sending out further details this week. I would like to thank her for helping me to organize this party for the Grade One children and parents, and thank you in advance for your support.
If you have any questions or concerns please email me at email@example.com .
Have a fantastic week!