For this final term, the Grade 3 students will be doing an oral presentation on a topic of their choice that they feel passionate about. One of the Big Ideas in the BC curriculum is “Language and story can be a source of creativity and joy”. The goal is to have them tap into their “creativity and joy” while preparing and doing their presentation.
The preparation for the presentation will be done entirely at home. Please feel free to counsel or assist your child in any way that you feel will be beneficial for them; the oral presentation will be done on their own in the classroom, but practicing at home in front of their immediate family, and your feedback, can help build their confidence for when they will be doing it in front of their classmates.
The oral presentation can also be a demonstration, as long as they are able to explain what they are doing and why they are doing it. There is no obligation to do a written component for the presentation, unless it is a part of it.
Here is the criteria on which the presentation will be evaluated:
- Being well prepared for their speech (know their topic, have any needed props, etc.)
- The tone of voice being loud enough for all their classmates to be able to easily hear them
- Speaking clearly at a regular rhythm
- Varying their intonation to add meaning to their words
- Adding gestural language to convey meaning
- Making eye contact on a regular basis with their audience
*The time frame for the oral presentation is approximately 5 minutes.
Here are the criteria for the participation of the students who will be the audience:
- Be an active listener ~ no talking during the presentation
- After the presentation, ask relevant questions about the presentation ~ can be to clarify or have a better understanding of the presentation
- Be respectful and considerate during the presentation
Next week I will be giving the students the date that they will be doing their presentation. It will be great to listen to each student talk about something that they feel passionate about^^*